- Medicinal herbs, next to food therapy, are probably the most widely utilized Oriental Medicine (OM) treatment modality. OM has its foundations in plant medicine and relies on these therapies to treat illness and optimize health for the prevention of disease as a therapeutic system.
- Eastern Balance Clinic has one of the largest herbal pharmacies available in the Houston area.
- All of our herbs are bought from reputable herbal manufacturers who are certified according to the FDA “Good Manufacturing Standards”.
- Our practitioners use the Materia Medica (medicinal substance encyclopedia) to understand aspects of medicinal substances, for common uses, proper dosage, cautions and contra-indications, drug/herb interactions, and even conventional medical research.
- This knowledge helps us to customize the best formula to use for each patient and modify it as the illness changes course.
- The formula is provided as granules that can be mixed with water for an instant herbal tea.
- We also offer “patent formulas”, these are pre-made herbal formulations that are in either pill or tablet form.
- For some conditions topical application is necessary; and we provide herbal liniments, salves, and plasters.
The Healing Power of Natural Plants and Herbs
Modern herbal medicine is a fusion of ancient wisdom and trustworthy science. Many plants and herbs used in Eastern Balance Oriental Medicine are part of herbal remedies discovered by cultures throughout China, India, and South America with health-improving properties that make them just as valuable today.
What Is Herbal Medicine?
Herbal medicine relies on plants and herbs to strengthen various body systems. Some plants are used as dietary supplements, providing essential nutrients and vitamins. Other herbal remedies contain substances that target specific health problems and illnesses, helping to reduce inflammation, improve mood, or boost immune response. These nutrients and beneficial compounds are obtained from leaves, roots, stems, seeds, bark, and fruit of specific plants.
Why Opt for Herbal Medicine?
The effectiveness of these natural components should come as no surprise. After all, many pharmaceutical medications have their roots in active ingredients from plants. The health benefits of vitamins and minerals are well known, and herbal medicine often provides better nutrient absorption.
- Long-term solutions: A key principle of oriental medicine is to look at the underlying causes of disease rather than treating a few symptoms here and there.
- Hormonal balance: Some plants have definite effects on hormone levels, which in turn promotes a positive outlook, feelings of happiness and well-being, and improved physical performance.
- Pain relief: A number of plant compounds reduce inflammation and stimulate the creation of natural endorphins that help people deal with pain effectively. This can improve conditions related to aging, chronic arthritis, and other health problems, all without the negative effects commonly related to over-the-counter NSAIDs such as aspirin.
What Are Some Examples of the Healing Power of Natural Plants?
- Valerian: This root contains compounds that reduce stress and anxiety feelings. It’s often used to help people fall asleep at night and enjoy a restful sleep.
- Turmeric: The orange spice found in curry, turmeric contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant component recommended for acute and chronic pain conditions.
- Gingko leaf: Better concentration, mental performance, and memory are just some of the effects of this spectacular leaf that improves blood flow to the brain.
- Chamomile: Tea made from chamomile promotes relaxation and reduces swelling throughout the body.
Enjoying Personalized Herbal Medicine
Every individual is different, so building a successful herbal medicine treatment program means working one-on-one with patients. As high-quality, naturally sourced plants are powerful, any existing prescription medications need to be taken into account; as well as lifestyle, overall fitness, and any present illnesses. This way, herbal medicine can provide optimal effects on health. Contact the herbal specialists at Eastern Balance Oriental directly for more information or to make an appointment today!